Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 27, 2014

HOW DID I GET HERE:  Where I Stand

Taking a risk isn't half-bad.  In fact, it's energizing.
I love life -- don't wish for the alternative.
Almost everybody is kind -- if I give them half a chance. 
I feel alive and joyous -- most of the time.
I'm moving up -- to where I don't know.
I'm moving forward, ever forward.
I can't solve all the world's problems -- but I can damn well contribute my 2 cents worth.
When a door opens, I go through it.
I take on too many jobs but I'm convinced that, one of these days, I'll finish them all.  Then die.
Life is hard but worth every minute.
I learn something new each day -- what joy!

Hurrah!  I volunteer yesterday morning at our annual community clean-up.  In the afternoon, I rake around my yard and fill 6 lawn bags of left-over leaves.  I work for others, then at home.  I give full measure of myself -- it's been a good day.  It's spring in Montana!

Within the last several weeks, I settle on two goals for my Democratic campaign -- my low-key, off-the-radar, one-by-one campaign.  My first goal is to get out the vote.  In doing that, I want to first prepare voters, help them understand any referendum that appears on the ballot.  There may be three:  one on voting rights (taking away the right to register and vote the same day) and two on health care.  One will expand Medicaid and the other will forbid the state from expanding Medicaid and from using funds or staff to administer the Affordable Care Act.  The meaning and purpose of both of these must be made abundantly clear.  It's been said that the voting rights referendum will be purposely confusing for voters.

My second goal is to focus on women and the impact that policies have on their economic well-being.  This includes health-care policies, minimum-wage policies, equal pay for equal work, voting rights, all policies have an effect on women.  No matter what others use as talking points, the fact that women are at least half our population means that they must be taken into account when discussing all policies.

Just how I will approach these two goals has yet to be determined.  As I move forward, through research, listening and discussing policies with others, a way will become clear.  Attending the Billings Chapter of League of Women Voters will supply clarity as well.

One thing I do know.  My exercise program of the past two weeks will add strength to reach my goals.  Walking every day, as fast as I comfortably can as far as I comfortably can, already makes a difference.  Both my energy level and stamina are on the increase.  Raking and bagging leaves into 6 lawn bags in one afternoon is a test I pass with flying colors.

What I accomplish in the end isn't as important as my willingness to try.  Using my creativity in as many ways as is possible is really the goal here.  After that, whatever will be, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment