Total Pageviews

Monday, February 22, 2016

PASSING ON A GIFT
     "Hey, Edith!" a male voice calls.  I'm walking along the road, past the Visitors' Center, around the corner, and down to the next road.  This is my first full day at Heifer Ranch Learning Center in Perryville, Arkansas.  My goal, as a "new" volunteer, is to spend my time roaming the Ranch following roads and paths to see where they lead.
      The voice comes from behind me (somebody knows my name already!).  "Yes?" I say as I turn in response.  I recognize the husband of Mary of the couple Bill-and-Mary.  There's also the couple Ann-and-Phil.  I've met them all but keeping their names straight this early on and trying to remember who is connected to whom is a definite challenge.
     "Mary and I are scheduled to speak at a Methodist Church tomorrow morning in Malvern," continues Bill.  "And they're also having a potluck for lunch.  Would you like to go with us?"  I think quickly.  I'm not sure I want to go to church but part of the reason I'm here is to meet new people and I'm determined to do that.
     "Sure."
     "We're leaving at seven o'clock and will just come by and pick you up."  That sounds good to me since the house where I'm staying is about a half-mile back.
     "Great.  I'll be ready."  As it gets toward evening, though, I wonder if I really want to go to church.  I've wandered around some of the ranch and decide that maybe my time tomorrow could be better spent doing more exploring.  So when I talk to Bill and Mary in their apartment later (living space is attached to the Visitors' Center), I explain my change of mind.
     Come Sunday morning, however, the temptation is too great and I reconsider.  I mustn't come all this way and stay alone.  Using self-talk, I am reminded that I must get out and be with people.  Besides, Mary had told me that, earlier in the week, she and Bill had taken two younger volunteers with them to a school so they could make a presentation on Heifer Ranch Learning Center.  This is part of the volunteer work they do here:  give presentations about the Ranch.  They even take several animals with them.  For this school, it had been a rabbit and a kid goat.
     That sounds fascinating and finally convinces me to go with them on Sunday morning.  Maybe I can learn something!
     We pull into the church parking lot over an hour later and wonder if there's enough space; lots of cars today.  Bill and Mary introduce us to the church staff, minister and find that their program on Heifer International is scheduled during/after the Potluck.  We settle in for the service and minister's talk.  Interestingly, and maybe not so serendipitously, his theme is "transformation", a topic that fits in very well with Heifer International's mission:  "to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth."  Transformation comes in a community changing itself from one of economic deprivation to one of economic sustainability -- all the while also caring for the earth.  "'Passing on the gift' is fundamental to Heifer International's approach to sustainable development.  As people share the offspring of their animals, their knowledge, resources, and skills with others, an expanding network of hope, dignity, and self-reliance is created that reaches around the globe."
     Brochures, pamphlets, small donation boxes are distributed around the large fellowship hall, sporting nearly-full tables overflowing with lots of food, and matched to lots of church members/visitors eating it.  Bill and Mary both give some history of Heifer International, tell stories from different cultures where Heifer lends a hand.  They get the children enthusiastically involved in guessing the "7 M's" that can come from different animals while also supporting families (milk, meat, material, muscle, money, manure, and motivation -- to help selves).  Discussion, questions and answers, and an invitation to visit Heifer Ranch Learning Center take place.  Laughter, joking, and warm camaraderie generate from the group.
     "We'd love to visit the Ranch.  Maybe we can get a group together," says one voice.
     "It's been a while since we've been there but I'd really like to visit again," states another.
     "Really enjoyed your presentation today," pipes up another.
     With our stomachs full and with all the well-wishing and future plans in our ears, we take leave to start back home.  It has been a worthwhile trip.  Bill and Mary's presentation hit a chord with the group -- they have passed on a gift of information, time and travel to share the story of Heifer International.  The fellowship of the group and their appreciation for the program is reflected in much good will and warm feelings, a gift they pass on to us (to say nothing of the almost-$100 donated to Heifer).
     "Passing on the gift" comes full circle.  It takes place not only in the actual working of Heifer International in countries around the world but also, on a smaller scale, in the Fellowship Hall of Magnet Cove Methodist Church in Malvern, Arkansas.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment