Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Once Again, into the Fray

The phone rings on a weekday morning in early March.  After exchanging greetings, the question comes:  "Will you run for state representative for House District 40?  Will you help us out again?"

I hem.  I haw.  I whine.  Three Republicans are running.  No Democrats.  Yes, I understand.  Without any contesting Democrats, it seems like we Democrats really don't care.  How can that be during the year of the Trump?!  If any year Democrats can shine, this should be it. 

"I'll check with a friend who'd said he'd help me the next time around.  Maybe he will run."

Nope, he won't.  I think all weekend.  What if I don't?  There'll be this gaping hole in our District where there is absolutely no Democratic representation for state rep.  It's not surprising.  This is one of the very reddest areas in the state.  This past December, I'm asked if I would run for state representative again -- only this time as a Republican.  It didn't take too long to realize I'd be embarrassed beyond belief if I tried the RINO path.  Be a Republican in Name Only?  No way, not even for that.  No thanks.

"What you'll be doing is helping other Democrats have a ballot with a name they can mark," she tells me.  (Last time around, all Democratic candidates in this District end up getting about the same number of votes: Democrats voting for Democrats.)  "It's very unlikely you'll be voted in.  However, over time, change can begin to happen.  Small inroads can start to make a dent."

I understand that change must start somewhere, even if it's just one voice.  I vow, however, after the 2014 election that there will not be a second time.  It isn't fun, particularly because I am not the schmoozing type.  But it is a challenge.  I take pride in my brochure created with help from a Billings Republican.  I push myself back then to participate in two local candidate forums.  Although mistakes are apparent in public speaking ("I can't believe you people can't see this..."), I do learn where improvements can be made.

I've already done it once, for gosh sakes.  I can do it again (and with a lot less nervousness I hope).  No more brochures this time, though.  Just do what comes more naturally.  Write Letters to the Editor, meet people through eliciting voter registrations at the local grocery, listen to concerns residents raise in conversations, read the newspapers, take notes, do some research.  Enjoy myself.  After all, this is old hat -- challenging myself all over again.  It's really the only way to go/grow.  (I_keep_reminding_ myself!)
      

No comments:

Post a Comment