Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A LEAP -- into the Unknown

Right where I need to be!  This is my feeling as I begin writing this morning.  It's the learning, making connections with others, feeling challenged to write and to write well.  Giving and receiving ideas, suggestions on how to make writing better.  Feeling one with the group.  Seeing respect and acceptance in the eyes of others, students, instructors.

How long has it been since I know I'm exactly where I need to be?  Years, I think.  Teaching, heading back to school for advanced degrees, running a school, raising a daughter, teaming with a partner, consulting, volunteering for Peace Corps in Bulgaria, writing off and on -- all have their benefits.  All bring rewards.

But now -- this is different.  This is the first time in my life I'm living totally alone.  I can be and do as I please.  Lo and behold, I think I've found my niche!

It hasn't come easily.  After my husband passes in New Mexico, I move lock, stock and barrel to Roundup, MT.  My daughter and her husband live near Roundup.  To be near family seems a natural move.  Giving back to the community in different ways (in other words, volunteering) in Roundup turns out to be a gift to myself in return.

Volunteering at the Musselshell Valley Historical Museum has been of great benefit.  What joy to read, learn of stories from the past, and share them with interested visitors.  It's not Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey, even.  It's better; it's the real McCoy.  These are genuine articles, stories written about/by ranchers, settlers, miners and mysterious situations that may or may not have happy endings.  More to the point, they can (and have been) fodder for others' writing as well as my own, both fiction and nonfiction.

After four years, a shift in family circumstances allows for a new lease on life.  I leave my daughter, my house, and Roundup (just not my Museum Board membership).  Feeling scared, nervous, more than a little unsure of myself, I move to Billings.  Out of all the activities for which I've signed up, the Writing Workshop at Montana State University Billings (MSUB) has been most rewarding -- for all the reasons above (Introduction to Windows 10 through Community Education comes in second).  Accepting challenge, learning new concepts and contacts, making progress -- this is the thing!  And the reward.

Got a chance to take a leap?  Just do it.  It's worth every step of the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment