Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2016

THE TRUMP EFFECT

More than any other presidential election, this one with Hillary Clinton as our probable winner makes me feel exceptionally proud.  I imagine it's much like how African-Americans feel in 2008 when Barack Obama becomes our first black president.  Never before have I been able to say that the President of the United States looks like me!  For girls, there are no words to express the impact that Hillary's Presidency will have on them.  They will be reminded every day of possibilities that now exist for them  The effect it will have on their self-confidence is immeasurable.

On the other hand, for me there is a very real Trump Effect.  I'm not sure if this exists for others as it does for me.  What is it?  About a month ago, in my front window I display a large Hillary sign.  There is one also for our Democratic Governor Bullock, for our Democratic Senate candidate, Denise Juneau (who is also Native American by birth), and several others for down-ballot races.  Last week, I remove all my signs from the window.

The Trump Effect is fear -- fear for my own safety.  Who knows what kind of reason a Trump loser might need to take out their anger on a Hillary winner?  Based on what I learn about Trump supporters, it doesn't even have to be a neighbor.  It can be any crazy that is set off by an in-your-face sign -- they can be just as trigger-happy as their leader Donald.  My only consolation is that I continue to make phone calls for Hillary at the phone bank, urging folks to get out and vote for her.

I know that it's not over until it's over.  And my fears may be unfounded.  But if Hillary wins, it will be a huge celebration for a majority of women and many men.  Every day that I turn on the news and hear Hillary's increasing poll numbers; every time I see more confidence and enthusiasm in the faces of Hillary supporters, even political pundits; every time I hear the fact that morale in the Hillary camp is rising --  I feel so grateful to be living at this time in history.

Hillary is the very embodiment of the saying, "In order to be successful, a woman has to work twice as hard as a man."  Not only has she had to face over-the-top barriers in past years, but also the radical lies that have been told in this campaign, all the physical and grueling aspects of this campaign.  She's endured all the mud-slinging and is still overcoming barriers today.  In order for her to convincingly win this election (so Donald can't call foul), she works to make the winning margin so great that there's no room to call the election rigged.  Russian-sponsored Wikileaks be damned!  

Today my morale rises as well.  Hillary is in New Hampshire at a rally.  Out onto the stage walks the Democratic Governor Margaret Hassen, the Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren, and the next Democratic President of the United States, Hillary Clinton.  Three powerful leaders who just happen to be women; what a team.  The best part?  This is the start of something big! (with apologies to the song-writer).

No comments:

Post a Comment